Power of Words
I felt rushed, irritated that the day was not going as planned! No one, especially the kids, seemed to be listening. My words were quick, terse, and unloving. It seemed like there were a million questions all needing answers immediately. Ever have days like this??
To get a break or a moment to just settle my mind before I yelled again for no reason at the kids, I went to my stack of mail. I just needed something to focus on other than my hectic emotions and then my eyes fell on a brown envelope. That’s odd, I usually do not get anything other than bills and catalogs, but this was personally addressed to me. Upon opening it I immediately began to cry tears of happiness and joy. My mood suddenly changed. There were no more questions, no more reasons to be irritated. It is like the world slowed down to just that moment.
It was a beautiful card with a special handwritten note and an affirmation card. This card brought my life back into focus. The words so beautifully written came from a special friend who wanted to encourage me and spoke life to me and over me. I now have that affirmation card on my counter where I fix my coffee so I can read it every morning.
James 1:17-18– “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of first fruits of all he created.”
It was a simple gesture that spoke volumes into my life. To them is was just a card; but to me it was a lifeline and a moment to refocus on the gifts I have been given by Abba and to take a moment to center myself on God’s word about me. He created me for a reason, with a purpose, and sometimes that can be lost in the day to day, but these words pulled me back in close to Him. After I put the card down I was able to go into my living room and sit with the kids and listen to their day and all their questions with a loving smile of peace and contentment. It’s like a breath of fresh air and life blew through the house all because my attitude changed by a few words of encouragement.
“Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble.” Considering the ‘powerful force’ of the words we utter, we must discipline ourselves to speak in a way that conveys respect, gentleness and humility.”
The power of words can make the darkest day brighter. It can change the outlook from a storm filled, dreary day to one full of sunshine and flowers. It is like being picked up from the dirt floor to be placed on a pedestal to be admired in the sunlight. It is the personal and loving touches that count and can turn a bad day or mood into a smile and cheerful attitude. It is knowing that someone out there sees me, my struggles, my insecurities and knows my struggles, BUT sees not what I am lacking but the gifts that I can share.
These moments are my God destined moments.
Proverbs 31:25 – “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.”
It is like He gives me a wink and says everything will be alright. It’s the encouragement I need to continue the course He has set before me. When my walk is weary, and I am questioning myself, there is always someone who encourages me and lifts me up. Never question the words of love spoken over you and into your life.
Here are some affirmations to speak love and encouragement:
- You are loved more than you can fathom.
- You are chosen and wanted.
- Thank you for being a friend to me.
- You are important and valued.
- You are not alone even when you feel lonely.
- I admire how strong you are!
- I love how you love on the forgotten and care for the afflicted.
- Your ability to make the ordinary beautiful is a true gift!
- You are a fighter and you never give up.
- You are a great wife to your husband!
- Thank you for being a loving mother and friend to me!
- You never give up even when the way before you is uncertain.
- I admire your tenacity and courage!
- You are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God.
- Your beauty and personality are unique!
- You have great style!
- I admire your never-ending selfless love for your children and grandchildren.
- Take heart when you are discouraged and remember our God will defend you!
- You are important to God’s plan no matter your relationship status.
- I love seeing how you listen to God.
- I am so proud of the woman you’ve become.
- Your grace and meekness are inspiring.